STMicroelectronics has introduced the STM32F4 series STM32 F4x9 and STM32F401, which are high-performance Cortex-M4 MCUs.
the growth drivers for GP MCUs, the market growth is driven by faster
migration to 32 bit platform. ST has been the first to bring the ARM
Cortex based solution, and now targets leadership position on 32bit
MCUs. An overview of the STM32 portfolio indicates high-performance MCUs
with DSP and FPU up to 608 CoreMark and up to180 MHz/225 DMIPS.
of the STM32F4 product lines, specifically, the STM32F429/439, include
180 MHz, 1 to 2-MB Flash and 256-KB SRAM. The low end STM32F401 has
features such as 84 MHz, 128-KB to 256-KB Flash and 64-KB SRAM.
STM32F401 provides the best balance in performance, power consumption,
integration and cost. The STM32F429/439 is providing more resources,
more performance and more features. There is close pin-to-pin and
software compatibility within the STM32F4 series and STM32 platform.
The STM32 F429-F439 high-performance MCUs with DSP and FPU are:
• World’s highest performance Cortex-M MCU executing from Embedded Flash, Cortex-M4 core with FPU up to 180 MHz/225 DMIPS.
• High integration thanks to ST 90nm process (same platform as F2 serie): up to 2MB Flash/256kB SRAM.
• Advanced connectivity USB OTG, Ethernet, CAN, SDRAM interface, LCD TFT controller.
• Power efficiency, thanks to ST90nm process and voltage scaling.
terms of providing more performance, the STM32F4, they provide up to
180 MHz/225 DMIPS with ART Accelerator, up to 608 CoreMark result, and
ARM Cortex-M4 with floating-point unit (FPU).
The STM32F427/429 highlights include:
• 180 MHz/225 DMIPS.
• Dual bank Flash (in both 1-MB and 2-MB), 256kB SRAM.
• SDRAM Interface (up to 32-bit).
• LCD-TFT controller supporting up to SVGA (800x600).
• Better graphic with ST Chrom-ART Accelerator:
-- x2 more performance vs. CPU alone
-- Offloads the CPU for graphical data generation
* Raw data copy
* Pixel format conversion
* Image blending (image mixing with some transparency).
• 100 μA typ. in Stop mode.
real-life examples of the STM32F4 include the smart watch, where it is
the main application controller or sensor hub, the smartphone, tablets
and monitors, where it is the sensor hub for MEMS and optical touch, and
the industrial/home automation panel, where it is the main application
controller. These can also be used in Wi-Fi modules for the Internet of
Things (IoT), such as appliances, door cameras, home thermostats, etc.
offer outstanding dynamic power consumption thanks to ST 90nm process,
as well as low leakage current made possible by advanced design technics
and architecture (voltage scaling).
ST is making a
large offering of evaluation boards and Discovery kits. The STM32F4 is
also offering new firmware libraries. SEGGER and ST signed an agreement
around the emWin graphical stack. The solution is called STemWin.